Monday 12 July 2021

Pursuit of Idealism in Africa

 

Paul Kipchumba

June 2019

In a sense I should apologize for using myself as an example for an experiment on African progress. I grew up with a dilemma of pursuing either internal (personal) or external (societal and peer) goals. In nearly all instances I elected to take my course.

From the first day I took this case, I began to be both vigilant and sensitive about happenings around me. A lady friend said that I was as sensitive as a teenage girl. A male friend said that I was too overcautious to succeed in anything.

The worry of the average person in Africa has been not to be ignored, trampled upon and forgotten. The worry of the smart person has been the balance between personal security and personal empowerment.

In the short period I have had an intense social interactions in Kenya, my worry has been a possibility of succumbing to societal humiliation. There has been registered tendency towards tampering with one’s self-esteem, leading to either alcoholism, temperamental arrogance, or miscalculations.

The crises in my coming to terms with what sets young people back was in 2007 when I decided to work with the late B E Kipkorir whom his Marakwet elite termed mean. When I persisted in my interest in his company I was termed confused. The second encounter was in 2009 when I founded Infomercial Researchers where my peers were cynical about my capability to run a business. The third case was in 2011 when somebody used my phone number to call me, my yahoo e-mail address was hacked, and a detractor presented a printed statement of my bank account.

In 2012 when I founded a joint Pokot-Marakwet settlement in the Kerio Valley I was termed mad and insane for opting to live in the jungle. I was excommunicated from the village by a clique. They initiated and funded a series of village meetings with an intention to tarnish my name and reputation. Classic cases are orchestrated against brilliant individuals to frustrate them. In 2016 I witnessed a local unravelling of elite gang-up against me when a friend said that if I did not toe the line I would end up like a friend that financial blockade was extended against because he presented a real threat to the status quo.

While I have made very many mistakes that I am proud of because they have given me an opportunity for learning, my experiences serve to highlight some of the challenges that independent minded people face in Africa. If they are not entrapped and entangled in local social processes such that they face career precariousness; they are frustrated at the job level through unnecessary transfers, demotions or even unlawful or morally wrong suspensions. Some are frustrated to death. Smart guys are sensitive to humiliation because they rarely live it simple.

Nearly every young person who grows up realizes the need to make some contribution towards the advancement of their societies. But this quest easily degenerates into hopelessness and a raw deal. It does not take long before they feel cheated and shortchanged. I was told that I spent a lot of my time helping other people, not helping myself, or that “Paul, all those guys you have assisted, when they see you they pity you”. I realized that the language that our people understand best is the language of competition and inequality. But this is equally troubling because a dumb person, even if supported, cannot compete with a determined smart person.

At the end of 2011 I decided to put aside some societal pretensions and play a long ball. I put a sketch of my infamous break from fundraisings for local relevance into action by making a case for founding a trust. I mooted Kipchumba Foundation. At the beginning such programs like running seminars from 2012 seemed very silly and naive because some other guys laughed at me by asking “how much do you earn by organizing a seminar?” I replied, in fact, I spent more money to realize them.

The idea of exiting Kenya through a scholarship did not make sense to me at that time, nor was it important because every country in my kind of quests matters and that Kenya is my country. Usually, local detractors use exit of dissidents to shut them out completely. There has never been a systematic attempt at maintaining both local and international influences to safeguard local gains. Smart individuals once they leave their countries rarely maintain credible tributaries to safeguard their work or build a framework for an effective local comeback. The lack of the latter is what has made smarter individuals easy to manage in Africa, if they manage to survive all considered cases of assassination. There has not been an equal attempt by smart people to act evil. The fact that it is a smart person who has to fear for their lives in Africa seems absurd. In my view, it should be the other way round.

I realized that my problems were caused by those around me. I decided to expand my network tremendously to counterbalance them. Every time I took note of the attitude, behaviour and actions of those around me and developed a counter mechanism without betraying my disposition.

Because the life of a graduate is put at the disposal of an illiterate boss who is neither the parent nor the guardian; because community debt of gratitude and control value supersedes personal aspirations; because those who have ideas have no instruments of power or the freewill to execute their ideas; I realized that there was need for social transitioning by young people.

In the run up to the postponed June 2019 conference that I was organizing for the Association of Elgeyo Marakwet Professionals, one of the participants confided in me that an informal memo was passed round to the employees of the County Government of Elgeyo Marakwet asking them not to attend the forum or to give the organizers the rates for conducting the conference at the chosen venue because the status quo forces felt that “the professionals were coming up too fast!” As much as the local economies need talent and investments to progress, in reality they do not need them nor are they ready for them. This scenario is very challenging for effecting the balance between patriotism and personal selfishness.

I witnessed the same trend in my interactions among the young people, especially in the social media, where they come up with an idea but it does not take long before they abandon it altogether without trying. But one very serious trend in my observations is that most of the young people face both career and progress precariousness because life is not lived within a plan but as a framework for chancing economic opportunity which, in most cases, has no guarantee of success because the external environment has a lot of bearing on individual will to prevail.

If human life, despite its normal challenges, is lived accumulatively then a human work-life of 30 years should make a lot of difference in bestowing lessons to the succeeding generations. In most part, I have not seen this happening because the most important space for progress is controlled by the less progressive. Therefore, I realized that both action and inaction carry the same risks at the individual level in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment